Are you thinking about writing for a local newspaper? Then, these tips are for you:
1. Read and learn. Writing newspaper articles is very different from writing web or feature articles. To make sure that you are on the right track, I recommend that you read articles about journalism or read as many newspaper articles as much as possible. Notice how they were written and pay attention to the elements that were used. It's important that you know these as editors are very strict with writing formats.
2. Choose your topics. As you are delivering news, you must talk about hot events that have direct impact on the lives of your readers. You can talk about police reports about crimes that were committed in your local community or news about politics, economy, sports, etc.
3. Gather data. Research your topics thoroughly and get as much information as possible. You should be able to answer all the what, why, how, where, and when questions of your readers.
4. Use the inverted pyramid technique. There is no other way to write your articles than using this technique. As a reporter, you must understand that the audience you are serving usually does not finish reading articles. As such, it's a must that you get your message across on your first or second paragraph. Spill all the most important information on your first 100 words.
5. Use quotes. Interview key people who are playing crucial roles in the topics that you are writing about. Get their reactions or expert opinions. Quotes can break the flow of data on your content and they can make your articles sound more human and interesting.